streams

streams

Saturday, January 19, 2013

Fasting

“Jesus prepared for the Test by fasting forty days and forty nights.” (Matt. 4:1-3 MSG)

Jesus practiced fasting. So this must be a valuable spiritual discipline. I’ve read that Jews have a tradition of fasting before certain holidays. Similarly, some Catholics use the forty days of Lent to focus on abstaining from habitual comforts.  I have many friends from all walks of faith who fast regularly. I admire these folks because I’ve never been very good at fasting. It tends to make me grumpy. Plus, it feels a lot like dieting, which makes me focus on my weight instead of on God!

I used to not be able to run. I would get an ache in my side after about two minutes of running and then hate that feeling, and I would decide that running was just not meant for me. Eventually someone said that I should start slowly and build up my stamina over time. I still run slowly, but I can endure for miles now. So, I decided to try the same method with fasting. I’ve tried just having bread and water for a day. This is manageable, and it doesn’t feel like dieting. I’m always a bit hungry but not about to pass out. It helps me focus on God rather than on my own satisfaction.

I’ve also tried abstaining from the internet and other technology from sunrise to sunset. I got this idea from how the Muslim’s fast during Ramadan. I was surprised at how difficult this was for me. I would like to try refraining from speech for a period of time. I have a feeling that one will be the most difficult one yet.

I recently read Lynn Baab’s book on Fasting. I’m paraphrasing some of her ideas below.

Fasting allows you the freedom and space to draw near to God. It’s not about self-punishment. It shouldn’t be an attempt to manipulate God into doing what we want because of our great sacrifice. It’s not about what you give up as much as what you replace it with.

I found the last point very convicting. Often I give up a habit and then fill that empty space with something other than God. I have a compulsion to be productive. Busyness anesthetizes me from feelings that I’d rather not deal with. It creates enough of a background noise that it prevents me from hearing God.

When determining what to abstain from, think about what gets in the way of your intimacy with God. What are the things you depend on to fill the void that is meant to be filled with God?

Fasting, whether it is from food, technology, alcohol, entertainment, or any other distractions, can de-clutter and clarify one’s priorities. Even temporary abstinence allows us to objectively reassess what is important in our lives. Most of all, it enables us to focus our attention on God and draw on His Strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment