streams

streams

Friday, January 18, 2013

Prayer Breaks

“Pray Continually” (1 Thess. 5:17 NIV)

“Seven times each day, I stop and shout praises for the way you keep everything running right.” (Ps. 119:164 MSG)

Ancient cultures made a practice of praying several times a day. Even to this day, many Muslims stop what they are doing and pause for prayer, five times a day. In the Middle Ages, Catholic monasteries and convents prayed at set times all throughout the day. The Divine Office (also called the Liturgy of the Hours) starts with morning prayer time (Prime), the three daytime prayer breaks (Terce, Sext, and None), Vespers in the evening and Compline at night. I’m sure lots of people would see prescribed prayer times as an interruption to productivity. Yet, if it were completely done by one’s own choice, I imagine it could be a beautiful daily practice.

I have customized this practice to fit my daily routine. I have my daily morning quiet time—scripture reading, prayer, writing, listening, singing along to praise songs, and reading other inspirational literature. Once I get started on my day, it’s difficult to stop and make time to focus on God, so I’ve had to change the way I think. My daily purpose, my job, my work is to be devoted to God. So prayer is never a distraction from productivity. It’s the desire to be productive apart from God that is the problem. Now, I try to incorporate my day into my prayer life, rather than the other way around. I still don’t have set times other than in the morning, but I take prayer breaks. I just stop whatever I’m doing, go into my room, shut the door, and pray. After meals are a great time to have a cup of tea and rest in God’s presence. The Psalms are a wonderful resource for lyrical praise. Surprisingly, so is Youtube! I’ve made a playlist of praise songs that I listen to frequently. I’m still working out the kinks in my prayer routine, but with God’s help, I hope one day to be “praying continually.”

No comments:

Post a Comment