streams

streams

Monday, January 28, 2013

Is God Dependable?

I rarely doubt the existence or ability of God. I occasionally wonder if He is dependable. The word dependable has two parts: Depend + Able. I’ve already said I’m sure that He is more than able, so that part is taken care of. However, depending on God is up to me; that is my part. God cannot show me how dependable He is until I’m willing to admit I’m helpless and give up my independence.

“Our Lord is great, with limitless strength; we’ll never comprehend what he knows and does. God puts the fallen on their feet again.” (Ps. 147:5-6 MSG)

God’s strength is limitless, and He always pulls us up when we fall. It’s impossible to understand God’s timing. Sometimes He makes us wait for what seems like ever; or are we making HIM wait for us?

I’m sure most of you have heard of the Life-Alert pendants. They are medical emergency devices that are attached to a necklace for elderly folks. If an elderly person falls and can’t get up to reach the phone, they can press this pendant, and it activates an automatic dialer that calls for help. I’ve noticed that many elderly people who might benefit from this service are reluctant to use it. They explain that they are not quite that old or disabled yet. Even though the pendant can be worn discreetly and no one else would know they have it on, many elderly folks are not willing to admit, even to themselves, that they are that helpless. Most people would rather die than be completely dependent on someone else.

I wonder how often God waits for us to admit our dependence on Him. When we fall and can’t get up, He is standing right there extending His arms to pull us up. Yet we keep rolling around in the dirt, trying to get up by ourselves. We keep insisting that we are not that decrepit. We ask for help, but we want it on our terms. We are not willing to give up our independence, our dignity, our illusion of self-sufficiency.

No comments:

Post a Comment