streams

streams

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Waiting

The other night, I was watching a TV show in which a kid suffered a head injury. The family members who were with him immediately called 911. While they were waiting for the ambulance to arrive, they were unsure of what to do. One said, “We shouldn’t move him; we could injure him further. Another said, “We can’t just stand here and do nothing! We should just put him in our car and take him to the hospital.” Luckily, the paramedics arrived just then, put a neck brace on the kid, and transported him safely to the hospital. If his family members had moved him improperly, he could have been paralyzed.

I often call on God for help when someone is injured, but I have trouble waiting patiently. I feel the urge to do something. I feel useless and helpless while I stand around watching others suffer. I’m tempted to take matters into my own hands and do and say things that could make the situation worse. I have to pause, pray, and breathe. My agitation shows a lack of confidence in God’s timing. Only God has the skill and knowledge to take care of such situations properly. My role is to call on God for help and wait by the side of the injured person until help arrives.

“But God’s not finished. He’s waiting around to be gracious to you. He’s gathering strength to show mercy to you. God takes the time to do everything right—everything. Those who wait around for him are the lucky ones.” (Isaiah. 30:18 MSG)

No comments:

Post a Comment