streams

streams

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Snow Running

I used to be afraid of the cold and ice. For the last decade, I’ve relegated myself to staying indoors for months every year. I’m still nervous about driving in winter since I’m putting others at risk, as well as myself. Lately, I’ve been venturing outside to run in the snow. I figure I can’t hurt anyone else, and whatever injury I sustain probably won’t be fatal! We don’t have any sidewalks in our neighborhood, and our gravel roads are rarely clear in the winter. So I’ve learned a few lessons while running in the snow:

-Fresh snow is safer, so run on the edge of the road. Driveways and other paths that are frequently used are more slippery because of packed snow.
-Don’t get distracted. Keep your wits about you at all times. Look directly in front of you as you place your next step. At the same time, look far ahead and search for an ice-free path.
-Stretch before you start. Take small steps. Speed is not a priority, but remaining upright is. Sometimes you have to go sideways to avoid ice.
-Dress in layers--but just enough to keep you warm without weighing you down. Dress for the wind chill temperature instead of the actual measurable temperature. Cover your head, especially your mouth and nose. It warms the air you breathe. Wear goggles--it keeps your eyes from watering. Wear gloves.
-Don’t take the dog. It’s hard to predict what she is going to do.
-Take your phone. In case you fall, you need to call out for help.
-Don’t look frumpy. Others are watching you through their windows. You are more likely to motivate and inspire others if you run in style!
-The colder it is, the stronger you feel after you are finished.

Snow running is teaching me how to face challenges. I’m learning not to take predictable, over-used paths. I focus on my next step while taking quick glances ahead at my future route. I stretch myself and try to remain flexible. I try not to make any sudden moves. I accept that sometimes I have to move sideways instead of forward. I don’t weigh myself down by creating unnecessary barriers. However, I don’t leave any part of myself exposed to the elements. It’s just as important to pay attention to my feelings as it is to the actual conditions. I need filters for my mouth as well as for my mind--for my intake and my outflow. It’s much easier to deal with harsh conditions when I don’t have others to worry about. I have no control over the choices of others. I need to call for help when I fall. Others are watching how I face these challenges, so I need to be a good example. And finally, I’ve learned that with God’s help, I can overcome even the harshest conditions and find strength in the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment