streams

streams

Thursday, April 11, 2013

Abstract or Concrete


 (Mental Hygiene Series)

4.     “I shall not turn my life into a thin, straight line which prefers abstractions to reality. I shall know what I am doing when I abstract, which of course I shall often have to do.” (Clyde Kilby)

I often think in metaphors because it helps me make sense of things. This habit, of looking at every experience as a symbol, also leads me to prefer abstractions to reality.

For example, a glass of spilled milk is sometimes just a mess that needs to be cleaned up. It is impractical to pause and analyze every spill and try to find meaning in it. (Did I just use a metaphor to explain why I need to quit being abstract?) ;-)

There is a lot to learn in this world and some of it requires a certain level of detachment from earthly concerns. However, I must remain rooted in reality and remind myself that under all the abstractions there are concrete truths.

1 comment: