streams

streams

Monday, April 1, 2013

Raise Up

Yesterday during the Easter service, our pastor asked the following questions: “Who has raised you up in the past year? And, who can you lift up in the coming year?”

As any kid knows, the most likely answer to any question asked in church is: Jesus. Now that the obvious answer is out of the way, I would like to unwrap this question further and peek inside.

Who has lifted me up? My husband, sister, and several close friends come to mind. As conduits of God’s love, they have provided support, encouragement, and inspiration. How can I do the same for others? First of all, I need to recognize those who need lifting up. Then, I need to put aside my own ideas and allow the Holy Spirit to work through me. I have to be receptive, pliant, consistent, and available.

During this process, there is always the risk of dragging someone down or being pulled down myself. In order to minimize this risk, I have to be able to discern my weaknesses as well as those of others. I must rely on God’s Spirit for this discernment as well. I also have to be vigilant, proactive, and disciplined.

I’m thankful for all those who have lifted me up thus far. I pray that God will use me to lift up others.

No comments:

Post a Comment