streams

streams

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Living in the Moment

(Mental Hygiene Series)

9.      “I shall not allow the devilish onrush of this century to usurp all my energies but will instead, as Charles Williams suggested, "fulfill the moment as the moment." I shall try to live well just now because the only time that exists is now.”(Clyde Kilby)

Ah yes, yet another admonishment to live in the moment.

I find it hard to stay mindful while doing mundane chores like vacuuming or folding laundry. In order to alleviate the boredom, I allow my mind to wander. Mostly, I think of what else I have to do on that day or upcoming week…which in turn leads to feelings of further boredom and dread.

Today, I tried to be present while I folded laundry. Here is a glimpse into my inner dialogue: This is so pointless. I can think of a hundred other things I’d rather be doing right now. Ok, pay attention. Fold the towel. Hang up my husband’s shirt. Repeat. After several minutes, I notice a change in my mood. I feel a sense of gratitude creeping in. I feel grateful for the time to take care of my home, family, and yes…laundry. I notice I’m getting distracted by my gratefulness. So I have to pull my mind back to the task at hand. Get more hangers, fold, put things away…

Once the laundry was finished, I started vacuuming. I tried the same technique of just being conscious. I watched the lines created by the vacuum, the dust and dog hair disappearing into the vacuum cleaner. My mind started wandering again. Then suddenly, I felt this pain around my hip. That got my attention. I started vacuuming more carefully, mindful of every move. I thought about how pain sometimes forces us to focus. Except that now I wasn’t really paying attention to the task at hand as much as my pain.

The paradox of being fully engaged in the moment is that it makes one even more self-conscious. Mindfulness should lead to holistic awareness rather than self-absorption. Living well now involves being present and grateful for the existing moment.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment