streams

streams

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Imaginative Things

(Mental Hygiene Series)

 8.     “I shall follow Darwin's advice and turn frequently to imaginative things such as good literature and good music, preferably, as Lewis suggests, an old book and timeless music.” (Clyde Kilby)

Maybe imaginative play is what I’m lacking. Children are good at using their imagination. I seem to remember myself as being a practical child. I remember reading fiction till I was in my early 20’s. So, I must have had an imaginative side back then. C.S. Lewis recommends old books and timeless music for mental health.

I see both reading and music as luxuries. I really enjoy both, but feel guilty when I take time for these pursuits. I usually manage to sneak in some reading time every day, either early in the morning or while eating lunch by myself. However, I rarely carve out time for music. In the same way that I allocate time for physical exercise, now I shall take time to read and listen to music. I will allow myself at least 30 minutes per day for each of these activities.

No comments:

Post a Comment