streams

streams

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Severed Trust

(written as part of Romans Bible study)

“Notice how God is both kind and severe. He is severe toward those who disobeyed, but kind to you if you continue to trust in his kindness. But if you stop trusting, you also will be cut off.” (Rom 11:22 NLT)

Sometimes I trust God; sometimes I don’t. I go back and forth almost on an hourly basis. I didn’t think of this as disobedience or rebellion. I just thought of it as part of my human nature.

If I wavered so much in any other relationship, I would expect irreparable damage. Yet, I continue to have this on-again, off-again trust with God and expect minimal consequences. It’s not that God is punishing me for my lack of trust. There are only so many times that you can sever, or cut off a relationship and still expect it to flourish.

When I discontinue my trust in God, even if it is just a temporary relapse, I am choosing to put that trust in something or someone else. Sometimes, I decide to depend on myself or others. Other times, I give in to despairing thoughts which lead me to bet on evil. I snatch the keys from God and hand them over to the devil.

 “Trust steadily in God, hope unswervingly, love extravagantly.” (1 Cor. 13:13 MSG)

Steady, unwavering trust is a byproduct of extravagant love. Once we realize that this is the kind of relationship God seeks with us--this abundant, extravagant love that abandons all else—then we become more pliant to His will.

“Everything comes from him; Everything happens through him; Everything ends up in him.  Always glory, Always praise! Yes. Yes. Yes.” (Romans 11:36 MSG)

No comments:

Post a Comment