streams

streams

Saturday, April 13, 2013

Accepting Mystery


(Mental Hygiene Series)

6.     “I shall open my eyes and ears. Once every day I shall simply stare at a tree, a flower, a cloud, or a person. I shall not then be concerned at all to ask what they are but simply be glad that they are. I shall joyfully allow them the mystery of what C.S. Lewis calls their "divine, magical, terrifying and ecstatic" existence.” (Clyde Kilsby)

I rarely take time to stare at a tree, a flower, or a cloud. I glance briefly and then move on to my thoughts. I do tend to maintain eye contact with people. I find them much more complicated, so I don’t take anyone at face value. One of the reasons I like C.S. Lewis is that he looked at things with a mystical perspective while remaining rational. He allowed for the mystery of God, saw glimpses of the Divine in nature, and subsequently realized his own shrinking significance.

So today’s mental hygiene habit is to take time to appreciate the wonder of creation and accept the mystery of the Creator.

No comments:

Post a Comment