streams

streams

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Intelligent Director

(Mental Hygiene Series)

The next mental hygiene habit is resisting cynicism. This habit is going to be uncomfortable for me. It will be like starting an exercise that I’m not used to doing. I predict I’ll be sore in a few days.

2.     “Instead of the accustomed idea of a mindless and endless evolutionary change to which we can neither add nor subtract, I shall suppose the universe guided by an Intelligence which, as Aristotle said of Greek drama, requires a beginning, a middle, and an end. I think this will save me from the cynicism expressed by Bertrand Russell before his death when he said: ‘There is darkness without, and when I die there will be darkness within. There is no splendor, no vastness anywhere, only triviality for a moment, and then nothing.’” (Clyde Kilby)

I can’t ignore the darkness and suffering all around me. Evil seems so rampant, while goodness seems random.

How can I be cynical, yet claim to have faith in God at the same time?

My friends know that I like to run. They also know I like junk food. Yesterday, I ran 2 miles and then ate a burger, fries, and 2 chocolate chip cookies. I am able to occasionally indulge in junk food, because I exercise regularly.

Similarly, because I have faith in an incomprehensible God who guides this universe, I may be able to get away with occasional bouts of cynicism. Yet every time I indulge myself, it sets me back. I have to constantly remind myself that God is in control of every detail. He directs the beginning, middle, and end of this drama.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, cynicism is so easy. We have to be careful that we don't really have a faith of deism (God is a creator but not involved) rather than one of God-involvement-through Christ. I believe that God forgives us this dimness, yet we must strive constantly to hear with our ears and see with our eyes. And, we must choose to belief that He is near and involved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dimness...yes, this is part of the problem.

    ReplyDelete