streams

streams

Saturday, April 20, 2013

The Power of Seduction

My friends got me a big bag of potato chips for my birthday. It called to me, tempting me with its bright yellow bag which promised crunchy, salty bliss. Now, you might be thinking…A bag of potato chips is no big deal. Well, that is how seduction works. Subtle, covert temptation that eases us in slowly is much more effective than any blatant come-ons. Even stupid animals don’t fall into a snare unless it is hidden. We all know to wrap the bait around the hook when we are fishing.

Similarly, we are slyly led astray by seemingly innocuous desires. We all want health, financial stability, happiness, safety, love, respect, admiration, a comfortable life for our families, and security for our country. What’s wrong with that? Well, when I look closely, I can see a hook under that bait. The snare of wanting more or holding on tight to what I have occupies my attention. It distracts me from the suffering of non-family members, strangers, and foreigners.   

Seduction slowly draws us away from what is good and right. The Lord’s Prayer includes the following line: “Lead us not into temptation.” That always seemed like a goofy request to me. Why would God lead us into temptation in the first place? Wouldn’t it be better to ask God to “lead us AWAY from temptation”? Why are we tested so frequently?

Tests assess our readiness for the next level of understanding. When we fall into temptation, we usually experience the consequences of our choices. Hopefully, the next time, we recognize the barbed hook that is hidden beneath the bait. We learn to give a wide berth to anything that looks faintly like a snare. We are able to see beyond the seductive exterior to the corrupt interior.

No comments:

Post a Comment