streams

streams

Saturday, April 6, 2013

Balaam and His Donkey

My neighborhood Bible study group has been studying the Book of Numbers from the Old Testament. When my friend suggested this book for our study, I wasn’t too excited, because it’s mostly about, well…a lot of boring numbers. This week I was reading the odd story about Balaam and his donkey (Numbers. 22-24). I remember reading this popular story to my son when he was younger. Here is a summary of this story in my own words: Balaam is known for being a ‘fee for service’ prophet. The local king hires him to curse the Israelites. God lets Balaam know that this is against His plan. Balaam continues to entertain the king’s offer. So then God tells him to go ahead and try conforming to the powers that be. Balaam sets off, riding his donkey, on his profit-motivated venture. Thrice God blocks his way by sending an angel. Balaam (even though he claims to be a prophet) fails to recognize the angel, while his donkey has no problem seeing clearly. The donkey refuses to go any further. Balaam beats the donkey for making him look like a fool. The donkey speaks out against the injustice. Suddenly, Balaam is able to see and hear the angel. After several admonishments to only say what God tells him, Balaam is once again sent on his way. When Balaam arrives at his job-site, he evaluates the situation, makes some sacrifices, and blesses the Israelites, thus following God’s instructions. However, Balaam accompanies the king to several different vantage points, to see if, maybe, God can be manipulated into seeing things from a different angle. Needless to say, God’s perspective doesn’t change.

I could see myself in the character of Balaam. I too am stubborn, resistant, and profit/benefit-motivated. I justify this trait by telling myself that I’m not looking to make a lot of money, just enough to support myself and not be dependent on anyone. I’ve been asking God to show me His will for my life. I suspect that He has revealed it to me multiple times, but I have stubbornly refused to acknowledge it, because it doesn’t fit my agenda. I continue to ‘entertain’ people and ideas that conform to worldly standards rather than God’s standards. God sends the equivalent of talking donkeys—supernatural situations that are meant to get my attention. Instead of recognizing these divine nudges, I keep following my own myopic vision. I repeatedly try to look at things from different angles, hoping that God can be influenced to see things from my point of view.

                   

No comments:

Post a Comment