streams

streams

Friday, April 12, 2013

Uniqueness

(Mental Hygiene Series)

5.      I shall not demean my own uniqueness by envy of others. I shall stop boring into myself to discover what psychological or social categories I might belong to. Mostly I shall simply forget about myself and do my work.” (Clyde Kilby)

When I compare myself to others, I diminish my uniqueness. I like to dig deep and figure myself and others out. This involves labeling people into categories: introverts or extroverts, intense or laid-back, prideful or humble, self-absorbed or charitable, interesting or boring. This stereotyping essentially strips individuals of their distinctiveness.

Now, the downside of all this psychoanalysis is that the vacuuming hasn’t been done in a week. My lesson for today is: I’m unique; you’re unique; and there is work to be done, so get on with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment