streams

streams

Monday, June 17, 2013

Big Picture

I have a love-hate relationship with the GPS in cars—well…mostly hate. I prefer a good, old-fashioned road atlas or map where I can see the big picture. I don’t want to merely know when the next turn comes up. I want to know all the turns, directions, towns, and landmarks I’m passing by. I want to know all the details in advance…so that I can find an alternate route if I don’t like the one planned out by God.

“Steady my steps with your Word of promise
    so nothing malign gets the better of me.” (Ps. 119:133 MSG)

Malignant thoughts and habits often get the better of me. Once they take root, they are difficult to cure. When I’m overwhelmed, I tend to neglect God’s Word. I might read it, but it doesn’t penetrate into me. I feel more and more unsteady, unbalanced…disoriented.

Recently, a friend sent me an email with the following statement: “Have confidence that your steps are ordered by the Lord.” (SC)

My steps might be ordered and mapped out by God, but I don’t always follow directions well. I get distracted and miss turns. I deviate from God’s plan. Even though my route is recalculated, the next chance to turn around and get back on track might be miles away.

I am confident that my steps are ordered by the Lord…However, I still have to pay attention to where I’m going.

No comments:

Post a Comment