streams

streams

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Low-Hanging Fruit

We have a few dwarf apple trees. Even though they are smaller than a standard apple tree, I can only pick apples off the lower branches. I have never tried to get a ladder and pick the fruit from the top branches. I’m just not that motivated. I wait for the fruits to fall down on their own accord. I usually end up with a lot of bruised apples that have been picked apart by the birds.

The expression, ‘low-hanging fruit’, is used to describe easily-reachable goals. These are the things you could do without stretching yourself. For example I could run a mile without much effort. It takes a bit of scheduling to make time for it, that’s all. However, 2 miles a day is not so comfortable, but I do it anyway. Occasionally, I challenge myself to do a higher number of miles, despite protests from my creaky knees, my achy feet, and my winded lungs.

I’m not so adventurous in other parts of my life. Mostly I just go for the low-hanging fruit from dwarf trees! My fear of failure keeps me from setting higher goals. I prefer the safety and control of solid ground to the instability of climbing ladders. I’m noticing that this is not the most productive way to live…

I asked myself: Why am I so reluctant to reach for even the middle-hanging fruit? What is the worst thing that could happen? Ok, I might fall on my face, but it wouldn’t hurt too much…I wouldn’t be too far off the ground. Yes, it might be embarrassing to start things and not finish them. I would have to admit that I’m not as capable as I thought. So what?
 
The highest fruits might be the most glamorous and prestigious, but even thinking of those aspirations saps my courage. For now, it might help if I put away the tall ladders until I’ve built up my confidence with step-stools. I need to identify the middle-hanging fruit and pursue these goals. Hopefully, I will learn to recover from the inevitable setbacks. As I work through the discomfort and build up strength and stamina, I should become more self-assured or at least develop a thicker skin. Either way, my life would be more fruitful.

No comments:

Post a Comment