streams

streams

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Pointer

As I approach a new phase of my life, I’m trying to decide what I’m meant to do next. I’ve considered several options...some popular careers and a few obscure ones too. Sometimes I’ll read or hear a phrase that gets my attention:

“There once was a man, his name John, sent by God to point out the way to the Life-Light. He came to show everyone where to look, who to believe in.” (John 1:6-8 MSG)

John the Baptist was called by God to be a pointer.

This makes me giggle ;-) It reminds me of a pointer dog who finds and points out the location of birds to a hunter, or a laser pointer that speakers use when making presentations. I wonder if John’s career would be considered a true vocation these days. I looked up ‘pointer’ in the Occupational Outlook Handbook—the ultimate career information resource put out by the U.S. Bureau of Labor and Statistics. I couldn’t find any jobs with that title. So I made up my own job description for a modern day pointer:

A pointer would have to be alert for God’s presence and be bold enough to appear crazy to others. The work environment is physically and mentally demanding. A pointer must be able to live on very little, because median-pay is 0 dollars. Extensive education and daily studying is required. Future job outlook is less than average compared to other occupations.

I feel a bit sorry for John. I feel even worse for his mom! I can imagine people asking John’s mom: “So, what does your son do for a living?” And his mom would have to answer, “Um…well, John is a pointer. He points out God’s presence in this world. He lives in the forest, foraging for food. He can’t afford to support a wife, or kids, or have a home. I just hope he doesn’t get himself killed. Yeah…I had such high hopes for him. He didn’t really live up to his potential.”

John the Baptist must have been quite the character. He was willing to sacrifice everything to fulfill his calling, no matter what anyone else thought. I don’t know what God is calling me to do next. Whatever it is, I hope I have John’s tenacity and boldness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment