streams

streams

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Entitlement

As an American citizen, wife, mother, friend, daughter, sister, tax-payer—I can claim certain rights and privileges. However, this sense of entitlement can be toxic to my growth, as well as to my relationships with others.

For example, as a taxpaying American citizen, I have certain inalienable rights under the U.S. Constitution. Most of the time, I take these rights for granted. I have never sent a thank-you note to the U.S. government for providing me with great roads, the right to vote, freedom of speech, food and water, safety, etc. My attitude is that I deserve these things. Now, if one of these things were taken away, the government would hear from me post haste! I’d be writing letters and signing petitions.

A sense of entitlement saps gratitude. It is difficult to be appreciative when we think we are just getting back what we are owed.

I have done so much for my _________ (spouse, child, friend, sister, brother, daughter, son, coworker, employer, neighbor); I’m entitled to be repaid for my kindness. In fact, whatever they do will never be enough, since they will always be indebted to me.

I have worked really hard for my _____ (job, money, education, accomplishments, possessions); I deserve unlimited happiness.

It can be physically and emotionally exhausting to help someone who feels a sense of entitlement. Very few of us can continually serve in situations where we feel unappreciated. Obligatory relationships drain affection, respect, generosity, and compassion. Similarly, it is impossible to find contentment when you think you deserve happiness.

“Think of yourselves the way Christ Jesus thought of himself. He had equal status with God but didn’t think so much of himself that he had to cling to the advantages of that status no matter what.” (Phil 2:5 MSG)

May we imitate Christ by cultivating a sense of gratitude, grace, humility, generosity, and wonder.  May we receive with thankfulness and share without expectations.

No comments:

Post a Comment