streams

streams

Monday, June 24, 2013

What's The Point?

We decided it was time to clean out the office. I’ve spent the last several days shredding documents. Our shredder only takes 8 sheets at a time, and it shuts off when it overheats. Every so often, it jams up completely. Then I have to take it apart and unclog it. I hate this stupid box! It reminds me of all the other monotonous tasks that I do on a daily basis. It calls attention to how pointless most of my work is. 

“Whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.” (1 Cor. 10:31 NLT)

Is there a way to shred documents for the glory of God? I doubt it. Lord, what do you want me to learn from this seemingly pointless task?

First of all, why am I shredding all these papers? Well, they have account numbers and social security numbers that can be stolen by identity thieves. This task is just as useful as locking my doors and windows to prevent thieves from breaking into my home.

Secondly, why did I wait so long to deal with these papers? There are about 23 years’ worth of bank statements to shred! This task would not be so onerous if I had done a little bit every year. Lesson to be learned: Procrastination is just piling up work for later.

Thirdly, this shredder has more sense than I do. It shuts down when it overheats or gets clogged up. This box isn’t so stupid after all. I routinely try to keep functioning, even when I need to take a break. I try to push through exhaustion and frustration. I need to put a sign on the door when I’m ‘out of order’ and learn when to retreat.

Lord, thank you for teaching me these lessons.

No comments:

Post a Comment