streams

streams

Friday, June 28, 2013

Windows

Windows are portals to the outside. Most of us enjoy light and a beautiful view. Why do people block the light with curtains or blinds? 

Our previous house was close to a town, in a residential neighborhood with sidewalks. There always seemed to be a lot of people walking, running, and biking within yards of my home. I had several windows that faced the front yard of my home. I felt a bit exposed, so I would keep my curtains and blinds closed on the front side of the house. Now I live in the country, and my house is set back from the street. We don’t have sidewalks, and there are far fewer people walking around. The bushes and trees are high enough to provide adequate privacy. I feel comfortable leaving my curtains open in most of the rooms.

 “This is the crisis we’re in: God-light streamed into the world, but men and women everywhere ran for the darkness. They went for the darkness because they were not really interested in pleasing God. Everyone who makes a practice of doing evil, addicted to denial and illusion, hates God-light and won’t come near it, fearing a painful exposure. But anyone working and living in truth and reality welcomes God-light so the work can be seen for the God-work it is.” (John 3:19-21 MSG)

We like light as long as it helps us see clearly. However, we block the light when it allows others to see inside our lives. We may be open and transparent about our decent activities and noble characteristics. Yet we try to cover up things we are ashamed or embarrassed of. (Sometimes we call these private.)

If we are working and living in truth and reality, we shall feel free to be completely transparent and open with others. We will feel compelled to share our mistakes, our experiences, and the lessons we’ve learned. We will have open lives, so that others can see the glorious restoration work that God has done.

No comments:

Post a Comment