streams

streams

Saturday, June 8, 2013

Childish Thinking

When I was a child, I lived in India. During my recent trip back to my childhood home, I realized how much I had changed. I no longer enjoy shopping, socializing with large groups, or being in the spotlight. I prefer contemplation, communing with nature, gardening, and physical activity. Many things that used to make an impression on me, now just sadden me.

As I walk around the streets of my ancestral country, I notice its lush beauty. In the pre-dawn moments, the chorus of crickets, birds and frogs are still audible. Soon the sun would rise, revealing opulent mansions built on what was previously farmland. The streets would be filled with people, traffic, and stray animals.

The unequal distribution of wealth is really obvious when you see mansions next to barely habitable dwellings. Traditional women’s clothing is beautiful, yet restrictive and impractical in the hot weather. Many families live apart--the husbands working in distant countries while the wives stay home to take care of the elderly and the young. These disparities in resources and freedom are accepted without much dissension.

“When I was a child, I spoke and thought and reasoned as a child. But when I grew up, I put away childish things.” (1 Cor. 13:11 NLT)

None of these things bothered me when I was a child. Now I find myself deeply troubled by injustice and inequality. Unequal distribution of wealth, the affluent taking advantage of the poor—these issues are prevalent all over the world. As children we may be oblivious to these disparities, but as adults we should be disturbed by this lopsidedness. We should not accept this as merely the status quo, but must modify our thinking and our actions until we create a more equitable society.

No comments:

Post a Comment