streams

streams

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Energy Vampires

Extroverts tend to be recharged in the company of others. They often use others as a sounding board to process thoughts. They are considered energy vampires by some introverts because they feed off the energy that is generated in a group.

I consider myself an ambivert—exhibiting some characteristics from both sides of the introvert-extrovert spectrum. I don’t like large groups or superficial conversations. I am not spontaneous. I would rather spend an evening at home watching TV, or reading a book than be out with friends. My favorite places to hang out are: my home, outdoors in nature, and the library. My favorite hobbies are thinking, reading, and writing. However, I am also talkative and outgoing. I have a loud voice and expressive body language. I’m comfortable around most people, although I am selective about my friends. I express my opinion, even if it is likely to cause conflict. I will rarely back down from an argument, especially if it is a subject about which I feel passionately. I am intense, introspective, focused, and energetic. I am open and transparent about my experiences, my talents, and my flaws. I am friendly to strangers, especially if they seem shy or somehow marginalized. I know how it feels to be the outsider, and I am eager to make others feel included and accepted. I am genuinely interested in authentic people, and I often ask them a lot of questions. If you happen to be an introvert, my intensity could be overwhelming. I may unintentionally drain you of your limited energy reservoir. I apologize.

I am trying to find constructive outlets to express myself authentically without harming anyone. Writing allows me to channel some of this intensity. Reading enables me to be a ‘vampire of thoughts’, feeding off the wisdom of great writers. And running allows me to hash out my thoughts without disturbing anyone else. What’s left often gets dumped on my family and a few good friends—who end up being forced to listen to my unending metaphysical questions. I’m deeply grateful for their patience and generosity.

2 comments:

  1. If you ever get around to it, pick up Venus on Fire, Men on Mars, by John Gray with the scientific proof of more than Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus.

    This will explain your reasoning to a T for your second last and last sentence. You are building Oxytocin, which is a female's hormone for stress and dealing with it. It is a book I am sure you would enjoy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :-) Will look for that book Laura!

    ReplyDelete