streams

streams

Saturday, September 28, 2013

Information Bulimia

Google turned 15 in September 2013. I hadn’t realized that it had only been around that long. I feel this milestone calls for a bit of reminiscing…

I finished college, got married, and had a child before Google. Back in college, when I had to do research papers, I went to the library, flipped through a card catalog, found books that were decades old, took notes, came home, wrote the 1st draft by hand, typed the final draft up on a typewriter and handed it in to the professor in person. My son, (who is in college now) doesn’t even know what a card-catalog is. He saw his first typewriter in a local museum. He never has to leave the house to do research. He can Google any subject and have the most recent information. He can even submit his assignments to his instructors electronically.

Of course, it’s understandable that my son, who grew up in the internet age, would be dependent on technology—but I’m just as hooked! It’s hard to imagine that I planned a wedding before the internet! Now, I can’t even plan a trip without it. I have to read reviews and gather information about every detail before I plan anything these days. And how in the world did I make it through a pregnancy without Google? These days, I wouldn’t be able to get through a hangnail without searching for causes, symptoms, and cures online! I need Google to look up recipes, maps, my calendar, check weather, connect with friends over email, write my blog, look up scripture verses—basically to look up answers for every question that pops up in my head.

I used to cook, drive, and take care of my family without the assistance of Google. Over the last decade, I’ve grown so dependent on this kind of technology. Since I know I can look up information so easily, I don’t bother to retain it anymore. I devour information, ingesting substantial amounts of it daily. However, most of it just passes through my brain. I used to write things down, memorize it, and make an attempt to digest it. Now it’s more like I binge on data and then vomit it out--information bulimia! And Google is my enabler.

No comments:

Post a Comment