streams

streams

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Privilege

A privilege is a special right, something that not everyone has. Not everyone has the privilege of having a spouse, or a child, or a grandchild, or genuine friends. Not everyone has the opportunity to get an education, find a suitable job, or make healthy choices.

When I start thinking about it, my day is filled with privileges. I woke up this morning in my own home and was able to make myself a cup of coffee just the way I like it. Then I had the privilege to spend some time praying and studying the Bible. And since my joints, muscles, and ligaments still work, I was able to go outside and run. Then I had a chance to feed my family a healthy breakfast, and clean up after with readily available water. I have the privilege of eyesight, a working brain, and functioning hands. And I have been blessed with the ability to notice the value of these things.

When we have had a privilege for a long time, it is no longer seen as a special right, but merely as something we deserve. Also, when we live around other privileged people, we tend to forget that not everyone in the world has these same opportunities. Take driving for example—in some parts of the world, women are not allowed to drive. I have the freedom to drive myself to wherever I need to go, without waiting on a male relative to come along with me. Everyone that lives around me also has this privilege, so it’s easy to take it for granted.

I recently read an article about an 8 year-old child-bride in Yemen, who died from internal injuries after intercourse with her 40 year old husband. http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/09/10/us-yemen-childbride-idUSBRE98910N20130910

The greatest privilege I have had in my life thus far has been the opportunity to take care of my child. I was reminded of this when I read the above article. How must the mother of that little girl feel—to not be able to protect her child against this deplorable cultural practice? I’m sure that this mother had very little power to prevent this from happening. We, in America, consider it a basic human right to protect our young children from harm. Yet this is a privilege that many parents do not have.

The opportunity to make good choices is in itself a precious privilege; may we never take it for granted.

No comments:

Post a Comment