streams

streams

Monday, September 23, 2013

Shelter

Our local homeless shelter provides a multitude of services for the needy in our community. For those who are able to stay sober and are willing to attend counseling, the shelter provides temporary living quarters, food, and vocational training. Unfortunately, sometimes people are turned away. There are many homeless people who suffer from addictions and mental health problems who are not able or willing to stay here overnight. They live outdoors during the warm months because of the rules and restrictions at the shelter. These individuals are allowed to drop-in during the day for food, showers, laundry facilities, telephone use, and to pick up clothing and toiletry donations. During the winter, this shelter becomes a refuge for so many who are seeking protection from the harsh conditions outdoors. As you might imagine, the news of all these services is shared by word of mouth throughout the homeless community. There are hundreds of people standing in line in front of the shelter every day. Yet, those of us who are not in need of these particular services rarely go near this shelter.

We are all needy in different ways. Where do we go when we need protection from the elements? Who provides us with our daily sustenance?

“But as for me, how good it is to be near God! I have made the Sovereign LORD my shelter, and I will tell everyone about the wonderful things you do.” (Ps.73:28 NLT)

God is our shelter, a place of refuge, a place where we can receive grace. There are other needy people, just like us, that find comfort in Him. No one is turned away. Some choose to dwell inside, while others merely drop-in from time-to-time, because they find His standards too restrictive. I am not embarrassed that I need this shelter. I can’t make it on my own. I need help. I tell everyone about this place. I invite them to join me in this wonderful shelter that protects, sustains and takes care of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment