streams

streams

Friday, September 13, 2013

Restorative vs. Draining


A structured schedule acts as a container for time. Without it, hours dribble away like water poured onto a counter instead of into a bowl. My schedule has been more fluid lately, but I feel busier and more exhausted by the end of each day. I decided to do an audit on my time to understand the cause of this paradox.

Most days, I wake up by 6am, spend a few hours praying, thinking, and writing, then exercise, then housework, maybe run to the store,  read and study, cook meals, clean, do some yard work, connect with friends over phone or email, hang out with my family, watch some TV, and go to bed.

Some of my daily habits are restorative, while others are simply draining. Exercising, cooking healthy meals, keeping my home tidy, and attending to the needs of my loved ones are all beneficial. My early morning quiet time is deeply therapeutic. However, the time I spend doing ‘internet research’ on whatever interests me, checking Facebook more than once a day, watching TV in the evenings, and going to the grocery store more than once a week are all just time drains. I imagine these activities will be relaxing and thus recharging. Yet, staying up late to watch TV, instead of going to sleep, merely depletes me further. Facebook, used thoughtfully, can be a useful tool for accountability groups. I check in daily with two groups that keep me on track with personal goals. Yet, I’m tempted to dilly-dally—scrolling through pictures and videos, indulging in modern day social voyeurism. Some online activities suck up time but provide very little rejuvenation.

A wise investor would sell stocks that are merely depleting his resources and reinvest his capital into sectors with growth potential. He would reallocate his assets and rebalance his portfolio—paying close attention to shifts in the market. Nobody should use the stock market as a form of entertainment, carelessly gambling away their resources.

Gone are the days when people were looking for ways to ‘pass the time’. Time and energy are becoming increasingly limited commodities. Frittering it away carelessly is no longer a good option. Reconsider habits that are draining. Reinvest that time into tasks that are restorative.

No comments:

Post a Comment