streams

streams

Friday, June 20, 2014

Gutter Guards

(Psalms Study)
Psalm 119 has so many wonderful verses:
“Oh, that my steps might be steady, keeping to the course you set; then I’d never have any regrets in comparing my life with your counsel.” (119:1-8 MSG)
“I’m single-minded in pursuit of you; don’t let me miss the road signs you’ve posted.” (119:9-16 MSG)
“Deflect the harsh words of my critics.” (119:33-40 MSG)
“Your words all add up to the sum total: Truth. (119:50 MSG)

Cleaning rooftop gutters is an annual task for most homeowners.  Gutters get clogged up with fallen leaves and sediment from the roof. Clogged-up gutters don’t function properly. Many homeowners install gutter guards—a mesh that covers the gutters on roofs, so that water can go through, but not leaves or larger debris. This allows the rainwater to flow freely, and thus the gutter fulfills its intended purpose.

Each of us is created for a purpose--to follow a certain path, to fulfill a specific function. However, often we are unable to keep the course that has been set for us. We get clogged up by criticism, false paradigms, distractions, and societal detritus. In order to fulfill our intended purpose, we have to either routinely clean out the muck or have a filter that covers our minds.

Here is something my dear friend, L.A., wrote to me: “I pray that Jesus’ blood will be your filter today and not let anything hurtful or emotionally disconcerting pass through into your heart. And that the same filter will only allow Jesus’ reactions to pass out to others.”

No comments:

Post a Comment