streams

streams

Monday, June 2, 2014

Mining for Truth

“When I went home last night, I thought, ‘What do I have to say to these men and women who are so earnest in their search for God and live such good lives?’ But then I realized that the only thing I have to do is to say loudly what they already know in their hearts so that they can recognize it as really theirs and affirm it in gratitude.” (Henri Nouwen, from Seeds of Hope)

Great authors, like Nouwen, say out loud what we already know deep inside our minds. They bring to the surface things we didn’t know we knew. Sometimes these revelations invoke a sense of gratitude; other times it’s just disturbing. Truth hides in the deep recesses of each of us. Some truths are like diamonds which are waiting to be excavated. They have to be cleaned up, cut, and polished before we can appreciate their beauty, brilliance, and clarity.

Other truths are disturbing. It’s like digging a hole in your backyard and finding a sinkhole or sewer. Most of us would rather that these unpleasant truths stay deep underground where they are less bothersome. We don’t appreciate it when someone brings it up, thus forcing us to confront issues that we find uncomfortable.

In our city, before we dig any deep holes, we have to get clearance from all the utility companies. A few days after you make the call, a technician will come and put flags in the yard to let you know where the water pipes, electric/gas/phone/septic lines are buried, so that you don’t dig near them and cause damage. Similarly, it’s important to understand a person’s psychological wiring before you dig too far. 

I relish discovering positive truths about myself and the world. I am not fond of unearthing things which reveal the negative, dark side of humanity. Sometimes, I too feel called to say loudly what others already know in their hearts. I wish truth were always pleasant, uplifting, and inspiring—yet, unfortunately, it isn’t. So I am learning to excavate carefully.

__  

No comments:

Post a Comment