streams

streams

Thursday, June 5, 2014

Widening Gaps

My smart phone is not as smart as it used to be. The operating system is a few years old and thus cannot run many of the newer apps. My laptop, on the other hand, has a newer operating system and can't run many of the older devices. Not all software is updatable. Once the gap between hardware, software, and operating systems becomes too wide, the best option is to buy new devices that are compatible with each other.

Most of us have noticed similar gaps between members of different generations. The values and standards among generations are often so dissimilar that it becomes difficult to relate to each other. Generational gaps are nothing new, so humans have learned to operate within these parameters, albeit inefficiently.

Immigrants and their children face an even bigger challenge. Along with generational and technological differences, they have to face the additional hurdle of a cultural gap. Immigrants who spend their formative years in one country and later move to a new culture find that the ideological gap between themselves and successive generations can be awfully wide. These differences result in a great deal of internal conflict and self-doubt in individuals as well as severe rifts between relatives. 

Widening gaps lead to incompatibility. In the case of technological advancement, we have the option of upgrading software or gadgets. However, we don’t always have this option with other people we are obligated to interact with—whether they be neighbors, co-workers, or relatives. We can find friends and contemporaries who might share our ideologies and perspectives, but we are still stuck with certain discordant relationships. In order to minimize conflict, we have to find ways to detach. We may have to disconnect from codependent social circles in order to find peace, harmony, and contentment. 

1 comment:

  1. This hits close to home for sure. As a Grandmother, brought up by post WWII parents, my own values are so different compared to the now forming values of my Grandchildren, not to mention the space between us.

    It may not be continents, but instead miles/kilometers, but I actually bought a mini-iPad, just so I could keep up on what is now the world my Grandchildren are growing up in, so there would not be such a huge gap what is important to their lives now.

    Was this a help? No. It only works when both parties involved, meaning them and myself, make an attempt to connect and meet on mutual grounds. Telling them it is disrespectful for them to not keep in touch with me is a foreign language to them, because they are too busy, "looking down" at their electronic devices, in their own world, which I am trying to find out how I can be a regular part of, when I do not live close enough to be in their life, every single day.

    They don't understand what the big deal is because for them, this is their normal life at the moment. This brings the reality into play for myself of realizing letting go of Ego of being the adored Grandmother who is talked to every single day with daily stories of their lives go and becoming One with them, is all I can do for now, today. Generation Gap becomes my personal Ego Gap.

    I, the older and supposedly wiser one of understanding must let go of Ego to see beyond and understand and believe, this is not done to hurt me, but to again educate me in what today's world has become when it comes to family and grow with it to make it work for all of us in harmony.

    ReplyDelete