streams

streams

Monday, October 31, 2016

Give it a Rest

“Give all your worries and cares to God, for he cares about you. ” (1 Peter 5:7 NLT)
I had a weird dream the other night: I was sitting at a round table with two good friends. I was agitated about a certain situation. I was pouring out my concerns to these friends, whipping myself into a frenzy of anxiety. One friend was commiserating with me, while the other friend remained silent for a while.  Suddenly, my quiet friend said in a stern tone: “Give it a rest!”
I woke up from this dream, smiling. The quiet friend in the dream was one of the kindest people I know. It was very uncharacteristic for her to say what she said in my dream. My subconscious mind was reminding me of an important truth: I needed to give my concerns to the Lord, to let them rest in His hands. In order to do this, I would have to lower my ego. I would have to admit that I can’t figure out solutions to every problem just by mulling over it incessantly. This battle in my mind could not be won under my own power. If I wanted to experience peace, I would have to abandon my worries into God’s capable care.
“The LORD will work out his plans for my life--for your faithful love, O LORD, endures forever. Don't abandon me, for you made me.” (Psalm 138:8 NLT)

No comments:

Post a Comment