streams

streams

Tuesday, March 27, 2018

NOT on My Own

“I can do all things through him who strengthens me.” (Philippians 4:13 ESV)

The above verse has been my lifeline in tough times. I have chanted it like a mantra as I crawled through dark valleys of helplessness:
Yes, I have strength for all things because Christ empowers me!
Yes, I can make it through anything through Christ who infuses me with inner strength!
Yes, I am self-sufficient in Christ’s sufficiency!

I thought I had sucked all the marrow out of this verse, yet, today I got a new insight about it. There are several people for whom I pray regularly. I also try to give them advice and support. As I was stewing in frustration about the lack of positive results, a sudden thought occurred to me:
My loved ones are strengthened for all things because Christ empowers them.
They can make it through anything through Christ who infuses them with inner strength!
They are self-sufficient in Christ’s sufficiency!
NOT because I have what it takes to influence them with good advice! Their progress, their faith, their fulfillment is not dependent on me. I don’t have enough power to empower anyone. 
BUT Christ does. 

No comments:

Post a Comment