streams

streams

Friday, March 16, 2018

The Power of Song

“At the very moment they began to sing and give praise, the LORD caused the armies of Ammon, Moab, and Mount Seir to start fighting among themselves.” (2 Chronicles 20:22 NLT)

King Jehoshaphat knew that the battle he faced belonged to God. Thus, the king sent the choir in before the army. At the very moment they began to sing and give praise, the LORD caused infighting among the enemy. The Judeans won the battle by singing.

I have witnessed the power of song in my life. Lyrics of songs I have heard in the past come to my mind at the most opportune times. These songs give me strength and comfort. I am not a good singer, so I rarely sing in public. Yet, I sing often when I am alone.

Music is one of the most powerful ways to express God. Many people find it easier to remember words set to a melody than to memorize scripture. Songs are often written in a more personal language which makes them more accessible. God can use the right song at the right time to communicate to us intimately. We can sing before battles and after victories. We can lay out our emotions as well as our gratitude. We can allow God to empower us as He fills our lives with song.

“Let the message about Christ, in all its richness, fill your lives. Teach and counsel each other with all the wisdom he gives. Sing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs to God with thankful hearts.” (Colossians 3:16 NLT)

No comments:

Post a Comment