streams

streams

Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Sharing Resources

“Tell them to use their money to do good. They should be rich in good works and generous to those in need, always being ready to share with others.” (1 Timothy 6:18 NLT)

My husband and I bought our first house when we were in our 20’s. The house came with a big yard and we didn’t really know much about yard work. Fortunately, our neighbor Rosalee, who lived across the street, was an expert. She was around 80, widowed, and did all her own yard work and house cleaning. Her home and yard were always meticulously maintained. Rosalee was very organized. Her garage walls were covered with pegboards where she hung up her gardening tools. She had drawn outlines for each tool on these boards, so she knew exactly where everything went. She had several different kinds of  shovels, spades, rakes, hoes, axes, saws, etc.  I had never seen anything like it before.  I didn’t even own a spade back then. Oftentimes, Rosalee would see me trying to do something out in my yard without the right equipment. She would call me over and lend me the right tools, but I wouldn't really know HOW to use them. Rosalee would watch me from her yard and motion for me to come back over. She patiently taught me how to hold the handle of a spade with both hands and push the blade in with my feet. She showed me how to clean tools and store them properly for the winter. Rosalee was rich in wisdom, experience, and patience. She was generous and ready to share her knowledge with a young neighbor.

We are all wealthy in different ways--money, opportunities, influence, boldness, courage, skills, power, freedom, time, energy, experience, wisdom, patience, discernment--all are riches that can be shared with others.  Money is a tool--just giving it away is not enough. People who have never had much of it may not know how to use it properly. They need guidance on how to spend, save, invest, budget, pay taxes, look out for swindlers, etc. Money can be used to help or hurt, to enable and empower people or to denigrate them. I think those of us who have been blessed with money have a great responsibility to those who have less. Let us be rich in good works and generous to those in need, always being ready to share with others.

No comments:

Post a Comment