streams

streams

Tuesday, July 14, 2020

Burdens of Sorrow

“My soul is deeply troubled, and my heart can’t bear the weight of this sorrow. I feel so close to death. I’m like the poor and helpless who die alone.” (Psalm 88:3-4 VOICE)

As the Covid-19 virus surges through communities, there are many who are upset about the restrictions placed on their daily routines. I understand the fear of economic collapse, but I have trouble empathizing with those who insist on congregating in bars, restaurants, or any other indoor spaces for nonessential purposes. 

My heart is deeply burdened for women giving birth during this time. The normal anxieties of a new mother are magnified by fear of the unknown. Birthing partners, healthcare workers, and other visitors are limited during labor and delivery. Often the mother and child are separated after birth if there is any suspicion of infection. 

My heart is deeply burdened for those with loved ones who are sick with serious illnesses. Those who are immunocompromised but still have to get regular treatment in hospital settings must feel incredibly vulnerable now. In addition to all the normal struggles that we all face, these families have to deal with keeping their loved ones safe and taking care of them in these precarious times. 

My heart is deeply burdened for those dying with the Covid-19 virus. For many of these patients, the fear of dying alone is worse than the suffering that accompanies the disease. Most patients are not allowed visitors. Families plead with healthcare workers to stay with their loved ones during their last minutes of life. Often this is not possible, because the hospitals are overflowing with the sick and dying. Those who die alone are the truly helpless. 

My soul is overwhelmed by the burden of these sorrows. 

2 comments:

  1. This is so much where my heart is this morning. As California’s governor announced tightening restrictions yesterday I felt overwhelmed, discouraged. Last night I listened to an excellent Biologos podcast with Francis Collins and NT Wright. They named my sorrow. Lament. It’s a difficult but healthy response to suffering. So this morning, as I cry out to God, I lament.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the resources. I will check it out.

      Delete