streams

streams

Thursday, July 23, 2020

Rooted in Faith

“Let your roots grow down into him, and let your lives be built on him. Then your faith will grow strong in the truth you were taught, and you will overflow with thankfulness.” (Colossians 2:7 NLT)


My English ivy was getting long and leggy, so I knew it was time to replant it. I cut the vine at the leaf nodules, stuck them in water for a few days, and then transplanted them in a container full of potting soil. I placed the container on a windowsill and waited. Months later, some of the cuttings looked shriveled, while others looked like they might live. I gently tugged at the withered vines. Just as I suspected, they had not developed roots. I am unsure why some of the transplants took root while others did not. 


I have noticed a similar parallel in faith. There are those who were raised with knowledge of God and others who recognized His presence later in life. There are those who embrace religion and others who are disillusioned by it. There are those who have an intimate connection with the Divine and those who keep their distance. 


When we are rooted in Christ, our lives are grounded in Him. We experience the depth of His love. Our faith grows strong as we absorb truth. We are continually infused with encouragement. Our hearts overflow with gratitude. We are made complete with the fullness of God. The Spirit thrives.


No comments:

Post a Comment