streams

streams

Tuesday, July 28, 2020

Shelter in God

“If you make the Lord your refuge, If you make the Most High your shelter, no evil will conquer you; no plague will come near your home.” (Psalm 91:9-10 NLT)


According to epidemiologists, one of the ways to slow the spread of COVID 19 is to shelter in your place of residence. Before the pandemic, I used to associate being away from home with activity, productivity, and fun. The house was where you came to sleep when you were tired. It was where you stored your stuff and did dreary chores. It was not the most exciting place. 


Over the last few months, I have learned to appreciate my home more. It provides my family with seclusion, safety, quiet, and comfort. I  cook, read, write, talk, play music, connect with friends online, call relatives, do projects around the house, clean, contemplate, and pray. Now I see my home as a sanctuary of rest and restoration. Surrounding the house, there is a big yard that grants me access to private outdoor space. I have enough space to grow some food. I can go outside whenever I feel the need for fresh air and sunlight. I can watch birds, squirrels, rabbits, and chipmunks from the kitchen window. I have more than I need. 


The practice of sheltering at home has also allowed me to see the verses of Psalm 91 in a different light. I used to think that finding shelter in God was restrictive and dull. It was not a space I wanted to remain in too long. I just wanted enough divine guidance to go into the world and accomplish everything that I wanted.  Yet, now I sense that God is much more expansive than I imagined. He provides me with more than I need. In Him, I am revived and restored. He is my sanctuary, my place of safety. As long as I make the Lord my shelter--no evil will conquer me, no plague will come near. 



No comments:

Post a Comment