streams

streams

Monday, July 20, 2020

Waiting on the Spirit

“The LORD's spirit will rest on him--a spirit that gives extraordinary wisdom, a spirit that provides the ability to execute plans, a spirit that produces absolute loyalty to the LORD.” (Isaiah 11:2 NET)

As a child, I loved butterflies. I used to sit still in sunny gardens, hoping they would land on me. I learned that I had to be quiet and alone for a long time before this could happen.  If they landed on my hair and I moved to get a better look, they would fly away. As I grew older, I no longer had time for these idle pursuits. I had school, homework, activities, friends, and a long list of goals. 

The lessons that I learned while waiting for butterflies have become useful to me once again. I have discovered the importance of silence, solitude, patience, and uninterrupted time when waiting for the Spirit of God. Any distraction, physical or mental, disturbs the presence of the Holy Spirit. Unfortunately, sparkling diversions are my weakness. I frequently get drawn out of a meditative state by the slightest sound, rogue thoughts,  and notifications on my phone. The desires to be productive, to feel useful, and to get things done pull me away as well. I am trapped in the echo chamber that is this world. The noise shatters my reverie. 

Lord, please teach me to be still once again, so that Your Spirit may rest upon me.  I yearn to know You. Awaken my slumbering soul. Grant me wisdom, understanding, insight, strength, fortitude, and patience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment