streams

streams

Wednesday, July 8, 2020

Conscious of My Sin

 “Father, I have done a terrible wrong in God’s sight and in your sight too.” (Luke 15:21 VOICE)

Old homes in humid areas can often have mold issues. Moisture accumulation on porous surfaces creates an ideal environment for mold spores to grow and spread. Once established, mold removal can be difficult. When we lived in Houston, Texas, I noticed many homeowners would accept mold in their bathrooms and laundry rooms as inevitable. Home sellers and landlords would just whitewash over the problem with a coat of paint. Home buyers and renters probably knew there was mold under the surface, but as long as it looked decent, most everyone was willing to overlook the problem.


“We choose to stay ignorant by looking away and finding comfort in a perspective where we are not the problem.” (Danielle Powell)


Until recently, I thought of myself as a decent human being. I was aware that I had some flaws, but I had learned to camouflage them in justifications. After all, everyone had issues. Over the last few months, I have become deeply conscious of the mold under the surface of my public persona. I have had to face the ugliness within me--my desire to hang on to the advantages I have, even if that is disadvantageous for others. Thus far, I have glossed over my sinful thoughts by believing and repeating narratives that allow me to continue the status quo and maintain my privileged status. 


Like the prodigal son, I am now jarringly aware of my sinfulness. I can no longer hide it. I can sincerely pray: I am a sinner. I have done terrible wrongs in God’s sight. I want to change. I don’t know how. I cannot do it on my own. Lord, please help me.


“Wash away all my iniquity and cleanse me from my sin.” (Psalm 51:2 NIV)


No comments:

Post a Comment