streams

streams

Thursday, July 2, 2020

Humility and Self-loathing

“Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex! Your workmanship is marvelous—how well I know it.” ( Psalm 139:14 NLT)


When I was a teenager, a friend of mine bought a used car for $500. She was really excited about it since it was her first car. The tires were bald, the body had dents and scratches, and the engine made strange noises. It looked like a piece of junk, but I didn’t have the heart to point that out. She must have read my mind, because she said: “I know it needs some work, but my dad can fix anything.” I didn’t know her dad, but I took her at her word.  Her confidence in her dad’s ability to turn this situation around influenced my perspective as well. Suddenly, I could see the car as a piece of junk with potential to be a serviceable vehicle. 


We are all broken, sinful, and in need of restoration. However, in the absence of faith, insecurities can sour into self-hate--which can then lead to bitterness and despair.  Humility allows us to acknowledge our flaws and inadequacies. Trust in God grants us a fresh perspective. Our focus shifts from our imperfections to our Father’s ability to fix anything. We are wonderfully complex beings--created and restored by the most marvelous hands. We shall remain works in progress throughout our lifetimes, because we have a God who never gives up on us. 


No comments:

Post a Comment