streams

streams

Friday, July 3, 2020

The Sin of Prejudice

“When you show prejudice you commit sin and you violate this royal law of love!” (James 2:9 TPT)


I like dogs. I am partial to golden retrievers, because I am familiar with this breed. I have minimal experience with other types of dogs. I have read that certain breeds can be more aggressive than others. One of my neighbors owns several boxers. These dogs often bark and chase after me when I run by their yard, so I have changed my running route to avoid that area.  Recently, some new neighbors moved into a house on a different street nearby. As I ran by their home, I spotted two large boxers. My heart was filled with fear. I did not know if these dogs were aggressive, but I assumed they were, based on my preconceived notions about this breed. I had pre-judged them. These dogs turned out to be calm and well-mannered. My prejudice was misplaced. 


Prejudice is any preconceived opinion, either favorable or unfavorable, about a person who belongs to a certain group. Guessing someone’s character--based on the color of his skin, the texture of his hair, the language he speaks, the clothes he wears--is a sign of mental laziness. Yes, it takes some time and effort to figure out each person individually. Yes, it would be easier to stick with our own kind. Yes, it is uncomfortable to place ourselves in environments where we feel vulnerable. However, prejudice is a sin that is just as serious as murder or adultery. We cannot claim to love Christ and practice discrimination by our thoughts, words, actions, or inactions. 


No comments:

Post a Comment