streams

streams

Friday, February 18, 2022

Moving Finish Line


“I have learned to be satisfied in any circumstance.” (Philippians 4:11 TPT)

My favorite part of running a marathon is crossing the finish line. I start counting down the miles I have left about halfway through. How frustrating it would be if the goal post kept changing!

The pursuit of pleasure is like a marathon with no finish line. No matter how much we acquire, accomplish, or experience, we are left wanting more. Have you ever heard someone admit to having enough fame, power, money, prestige, admiration, food, drink, fun, thrills, etc.? 

The Apostle Paul says he learned to be content in any circumstance. His life was marked with afflictions. He was beaten, stoned, shipwrecked, and imprisoned several times. He experienced hunger, thirst, pain, rejection, and hatred. Paul did not base his satisfaction on temporal pleasures. That would be equivalent to running a race with no endpoint. He knew there was no chance of contentment down the path of circumstantial happiness. Thus, he poured out his energy as an offering to God. As he approached the end, Paul could honestly say that he was content, despite all his sufferings.

“My life is being given as an offering for God. The time has come for me to leave this life here. I have fought the good fight. I have finished the race. I have served the Lord faithfully.” (2 Timothy 4:6-7 ERV)


No comments:

Post a Comment