streams

streams

Thursday, February 10, 2022

Not Connected


“You see, my heart overflowed with bitterness and cynicism; I felt as if someone stabbed me in the back.” (Psalm 73:21 TPT)

The other day, I was going for my usual morning run. As I stepped out of my driveway, I heard the following alert on my bluetooth headphones: “Not connected!”  I checked my pockets and realized I had left my phone in the house. I turned around and went back into the house to find my phone. 

I wish I could have a similar alert when it comes to hearing from God. I sometimes wander away and feel disconnected. Certain emotions and experiences such as bitterness, cynicism, despair, anger, indignation, betrayal, dishonesty, bullying, manipulation--all tend to disrupt my receptivity. Any form of distraction and numbing makes things even worse. 

Knowing about these connectivity patterns, I have to be intentional about my thoughts and behaviors, especially during times of crisis. Distractions and numbing may temporarily relieve the pain but are unproductive in the long run.  I must turn back to Christ and reconnect.  I need to remain near to the Source, so that I can hear, understand, and be strengthened. 

“But the closer I am to You, my God, the better because life with You is good.” (Psalm 73:28 TPT)

 


No comments:

Post a Comment