streams

streams

Monday, February 21, 2022

Strength in Helplessness

 

“You’re blessed when you’re at the end of your rope. With less of you there is more of God and his rule.” (Matthew 5:3 MSG)

Psychologist Dr. David Lewis did a research study of stress levels for fighter pilots and commuters. He compared heart rate, blood pressure, and cortisol levels of combat pilots in the midst of battle and commuters on the London subway or those driving to work. The results were surprising. Commuters showed higher levels of stress than fighter pilots. Why? While the pilots had a much higher risk of mortality, they felt more in control of their situation than the commuters. Stress is exacerbated by feelings of helplessness.

This resonated with me. During the last two years of the pandemic, I have been mostly homebound. It has not been fun. However, I feel like all the sacrifices I have made thus far have been my choice, and I am grateful to have the agency to make good choices. Recently, I have had a series of difficulties that are outside my power to manage. This feeling of helplessness is much more stressful than the last two years of limitations. 

I am at the end of my rope of self-reliance. I’m too tired to hang on, so I must let go. I have acknowledged my powerlessness. With less of me, there is more of God and His power. This is a blessing. I have invited the Lord into my emptiness. I shall wait expectantly for Him.  I am relying on His strength. 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment