streams

streams

Thursday, April 26, 2012

Bandwidth Hogs

In computing jargon, bandwidth is the rate of data transfer. But in colloquial language, it means the resources needed to complete a task or project. Thus, a bandwidth hog is any program or application that takes up a lot of resources at the expense of others.

I’m starting to be aware of bandwidth hogs in my life. Certain projects or habits take up an inordinate amount of resources. Before I set out on new ventures, I consider my limited resources of time and energy.

Let’s say I’m thinking of committing to a new project or job. How will this affect the other commitments in my life? What other areas will have to be neglected? Who will suffer?

Certain careers suck up more bandwidth than others. I’ve noticed that high-powered jobs tend to leave very little margin for anything else. How much are we willing to sacrifice for success? I’m willing to give up leisure time and a cushy lifestyle. I understand that hard work is a prerequisite to reach goals. But I am not willing to offer up my family, relinquish my relationships, or diminish my soul for any aspiration.

“And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul?” (Mark 8 :36 NLT)

1 comment:

  1. I agree! Yet, my life might be opening up some more for a new venture or mission. We shall see. God lead on!

    ReplyDelete