streams

streams

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Emotional Constipation

I was talking with a good friend the other morning. Each of us took turns just unloading our frustrations, worries, anxieties, and irritations. Neither of us could fix each other’s problems. Yet we felt less burdened after the gripe session.

Generally, I consider complaining a negative activity that needs to be avoided. I keep a gratefulness journal so as to maintain a positive attitude. I thank God daily for all my blessings. I point out how fortunate we are to other family members and friends. I try to focus on the positive.

Yet the negative emotions are still there. It’s a natural by-product of daily life. It builds up inside us-- blocking, bloating, weighing us down. Every so often we need to take the time to empty these grievances. 

Whether it’s having a gripe session with a friend or writing in a frustration journal, we all need opportunities for lamentation. There is no use pretending we don’t have this crap inside us. When we fail to regularly discharge these emotions, it hardens and compresses, causing emotional constipation.

We have to be selective about where and when we express our despondency. We all need safe, private spaces for our groan and moan sessions. I have a few good friends who can stay neutral and don’t feel the need to immediately clean up my messes. I’m trying to be this kind of friend to others as well--a listening ear rather than a fixer, an unloading dock at a safe harbor.

2 comments:

  1. I guess you're an emotional laxative or cathartic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The above sounds like a doctor's diagnosis. ;) Yes, I too think we have the need to unload on someone, but, yes, too much is too much and we can tend to perseverate which is never healthy. But, I concur with your general message. :)

    ReplyDelete