streams

streams

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Wear the Red Dress

Lyrics from the song, How you Live --by Point of Grace 

Wake up to the sunlight, with your windows open
Don't hold in your anger or leave things unspoken
Wear your red dress, use your good dishes
Make a big mess and make lots of wishes
Have what you want, but want what you have
And don't spend your life lookin' back
Turn up the music, turn it up loud
Take a few chances, let it all out

Every time I hear this song, I feel convicted to live more fully. I wish this was my natural setting. But it isn’t. Instead, I wake up before sunlight, because I suffer from insomnia. I usually keep my windows closed so the house won’t get dusty. The red dress hangs in the closet, waiting for a special occasion. The good dishes stay in the cupboard, because they are a pain to wash by hand. I don’t like making messes, since I’d have to clean it up myself. I’m always asking my son to turn down the music, so I can hear myself think. I don’t like taking chances, because I’m afraid I might fail. Alas, I’ve always had a proclivity towards practical, cautious living.

So God gave me a husband that urges me to wear that red dress!

My husband shores up my crumbling courage, bolsters my confidence, pushes me past my insecurities. He encourages me to abandon my fears and self-imposed restrictions. He cajoles me out of my over-cautious, hyper-practical, intensely-serious self. He shows me how to live fully.

1 comment: