streams

streams

Saturday, April 21, 2012

Compassion Fatigue

Most do-gooders eventually run out of compassion. We get tired of the politics, the sense of entitlement, the lack of visible progress. Compassion fatigue is a common cause of volunteer burn-out.

When I’m helping my husband move heavy objects, he always carries the bulk of the weight, and I’m mostly just holding up my side so it doesn’t drag on the ground. I think being yoked with God must be similar. Since He is stronger, I’m sure he takes on the bulk of the burden. Our role is to stay in step and keep our side from dragging. This takes some effort, a good attitude, and a willingness to let God lead.

“Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly." (Matt. 28-30 MSG)

We can serve alongside God without getting exhausted, if we acknowledge that He is stronger and smarter than we are. God’s Spirit within us is an inexhaustible source of compassion.

1 comment:

  1. I like that visual of you and your husband carrying a heavy object. I can relate. Yes, God is stronger than us. Glad he's inexhaustible too. Good.

    ReplyDelete