streams

streams

Thursday, October 25, 2012

Name of God

“I’ll pray in the name of God.” (Ps. 116:13, 17 MSG)

This phrase, “Name of God”, has been popping up around me the last few days. I’m paying attention…

Dallas Willard has a very nice article on this subject. If you would like to read it, here is the link:
http://www.dwillard.org/articles/artview.asp?artID=166

Willard says that when you ask, or act, or speak in God’s name, you are doing so on behalf of God. When we pray in the name of the Lord, we are asking with assurance, with expectation.

Our family has medical insurance through my husband’s job. Although we are all covered, the policy is under his name. So I have to always mention his name and my relationship to him when I go to any medical appointments. They also confirm my address. I think it’s to make sure I’m not separated from my husband.

Similarly, whatever I do in the name of the Lord is covered under His authority. As long as I reside with God, as long as I share His name, I’m assured of certain benefits. However, claiming to know God comes with certain responsibilities as well.

Recently, I read something that Michelle Obama said about her teenage daughters. She reminds them that just as they benefit from their father’s name, there are also responsibilities that come with it. They can’t just post whatever they feel on Facebook, or anywhere online, because they represent their father. Every word they say or write, every picture someone posts of them, every outfit they wear, every friend they have, every action will be scrutinized and held up to a higher standard.

One of the Ten Commandments bans us from using God’s name in vain. When we claim God as our Father, we must be careful not to tarnish His name. Our responsibility to represent God compels us to hold ourselves up to the highest standards. May we live, pray, speak, and act in ways befitting the Name of the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment