streams

streams

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

The Joy of Self-Expression

I delight in every opportunity to express myself, whether it is through speaking, writing, dressing in bright colors, painting, singing, dancing, decorating my home, photography, cooking…

Now, I am better at some of these things than I am at others. I admire those who can write a song or paint a landscape. I have vague ideas for songs and visions of beautiful landscapes swirling in my imagination. Yet, when I try to express them, what comes out is nothing similar to what’s in my head. So I make do by singing along with songs written by others, especially when the lyrics and melody are similar to what I wanted to express, but couldn’t.

Most people think of these as creative pursuits. I don’t know if I’m necessarily creating anything, but just expressing what is inside. I think that God creates and we are meant to be products of God’s self-expression. We are His painting, His song, His book, His dance…

Unfortunately, we put our own twist, our own interpretation on God’s original work. This is the difference between unadulterated nature and things that are man-made. Look at God’s glorious creation and expression in nature. It’s beyond perfect. But then we attempt to “make it our own”, and what results is a diminished version of the original.

I wonder how I can be merely a conduit for God’s expression, without messing it up with my own interpretation.

No comments:

Post a Comment